New-Year-New Start-New You (Adding Coconut Oil to Your Diet)
One of the first east steps to changing your lifestyle to a healthier one is by changing your cooking oil from sunflower oil,vegetable oil and replacing it with coconut oil.
All fats are not created equal. Coconut oil contains short term medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), which is a "healthy" form saturated fat compared to trans fat. Trans fatty acid consumption is linked with heart problems, depression and increased cholesterol levels.
Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs)
Most of the fats we consume are long chain fatty acids that must be broken down before they can be a
bsorbed. Coconut oil is high in short and medium chain fatty acids, which are easily digested and sent right to the liver for energy production.Because MCFAs are sent right to the liver for digestion, no bile or pancreatic enzymes are needed for digestion, making coconut oil a healthy food even for those with diabetes or those who have gallbladder problems.MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy.
What About The Saturated Fat?
If you are still concerned about saturated fat, consider taking a second look. Even if you still avoid/limit saturated fats, it is important to note that not all saturated fats behave the same way in the body. Coconut oil, due to its high lauric acid content, is actually beneficial to the body.
The Many Ways To Use Coconut Oil
If you haven’t already started using coconut oil, there are many ways that you can get this nutrient packed powerhouse into your diet/lifestyle:
To avoid hacking away at coconut oil, especially in the winter months, you can simply melt it and pour it into ice-cube trays,refrigerate till solid and then store in a container in the kitchen as long as it's not too warm in your kitchen, otherwise i would suggest leaving it in the fridge.This great idea came from The Coconut Mama blog.
One fad that took over in 2015 was teeth whitening with Coconut Oil, I'm sure you all saw the endless celebrity selfies of them using CoCo White coconut oil whitening kits. They have done a great job of getting people to have better dental hygiene, whiter teeth and bringing oil pulling in to the 21st century..However for a cheaper alternative you can use normal coconut oil, it will do the same job! if the flavour is not to your liking,simply add an essential oil such as peppermint or lemon to make it more bearable.
- In Cooking: Coconut oil is a stable oil that doesn’t break down easily at high temperatures like other oils do. It doesn’t go rancid easily and has amazing nutritional properties. It is great for cooking eggs, stir fries, grain free baked goods, and practically any other cooking use.
- Skin Lotion: Coconut oil is without question my favorite body lotion. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave you feeling greasy.
- In Smoothies: It’s sweet and nutty taste makes coconut oil a great addition to smoothies. It creates a wonderfully creamy texture and makes smoothies rich and smooth. It also adds a bounty of nutrients and a big dose of healthy fats.
Homemade Mayo: If you’ve never made your own mayo, Making mayo is really simple and the taste of homemade mayo beats store-bought versions hands down. By making mayo with a mix of coconut and olive oils, you get a great dose of saturated and monounsaturated fats without the additives and artificial ingredients.
- Great Snacks: Because it is so filling and nutrient dense, coconut oil is a great addition (or base) for healthy snacks. Since coconut oil is solid at cold temperatures, it is great for making no bake cookies and desserts in the fridge or freezer.
- Eye Make Up Remover: Coconut oil is an excellent eye-make up remover that has been reported to help remove wrinkles and help restore elasticity to the skin.
- Dandruff Remedy and Hair Conditioner: Coconut oil can effectively get rid of dandruff when rubbed into the scalp a couple of times a week. It does make hair oily, of course, but I recommend massaging into the scalp before bed and leaving in overnight before rinsing out in the morning. It also helps strengthen hair and add shine.
- For Shaving: Using coconut oil in the shower as a shaving soap gives a smooth shave with no irritation I usually rub on before getting in the shower and then shave in the shower. It doesn’t wash off and moisturizes legs while getting them silky!
- Massage Oil: Coconut oil makes a great tropical smelling massage oil.
- In Coffee or Tea: As strange as this might sound, melting a teaspoon or so of coconut oil in a hot beverage is an easy way to get extra coconut in for the health benefits.
What is oil pulling?
It’s an ancient Ayurvedic technique that involves swishing oil in your mouth for 20 minutes to help improve your oral & overall health. The idea behind it is pretty simple- the oil is “sticky” and when you swish it around in your mouth bacteria gets stuck in the oil & dissolves.
Put anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish for 20 minutes, some people say to do this while having a shower,as you need 20 minutes of not talking, not eating and not drinking. Pull the oil through your teeth and make sure you don't swallow it (you don't want to swallow the bacteria you've just spent the time getting rid of)
When 20 minutes is up spit out the oil into the bin, not down the drain as the oil will solidify and mess up your pipes..
1. WHITENS TEETH
There is no need for chemical teeth whitening strips when oil pulling works just as well! The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brighten and cleans teeth, keeping them pearly white. Try it for two weeks and you’ll see what I mean, or just take a look at Gwyneth Paltrow’s smile. She is known to follow the practice each morning.
2. INCREASES ENERGY
When our immune system is put to work in clearing out toxic waste from our body, it drains our energy levels. Removing the noxious culprits in the first instance by oil pulling lowers the amount of work our body has to do to function, which leaves us feeling a whole lot better.
3. DETOXES THE BODY
Germs in the body are much like poison causing inflammation and leading to disease and illness in turn. The gateway to the body for such contamination is the mouth. Therefore, in removing the toxins at the source before they get a chance to spread, the body undergoes a complete detox.
4. AIDS HORMONAL CHANGES
Without having to compete with foreign substances, hormones can behave as they should, functioning to their best ability without being thrown off balance.
5. REDUCES HEADACHES
When the body is under toxic stress, headaches and migraines occur. It is nature’s way of asking for some time out to recover. By eliminating bacteria from the body via oil pulling, headaches can be avoided.
6. KEEPS THE SKIN CLEAR
The benefits even extend to your skin! Removing toxins from the body that would otherwise make it into the bloodstream means the skin has a chance to shine. Rashes and skin issues often reduce dramatically, or even clear up completely, when oil pulling.
7. PROMOTES ORAL HYGIENE
Oil pulling is highly effective at reducing tooth cavities and at eradicating bad breath. Removing the Streptococcus mutant bacteria (an important player in tooth decay) as well as other microorganisms, oil pulling is great for oral health. It also helps with plaque-induced gingivitis.
When you start oil pulling, you might experience some of the positive effects immediately, or it may take a few days or even weeks. It will very much depend on the state of your health to begin with, and how compromised your immune system is. Either way, hang on in there and I am sure you will grow to love it!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.